Use this form to let us know you are voluntarily abandoning your status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States. We will update your records to show you are no longer an LPR.
Number of Pages
Form 3; instructions 4
05/16/19. Starting 07/29/19, we will only accept the 05/16/19 edition. Until then, you can use the 03/31/17 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Where to File
If you are in a location with a USCIS international field office: Submit Form I-407 in person or by mail to that office. Find locations at uscis.gov/international.
If you are in another location: Mail Form I-407 to the nearest USCIS international field office.
In very rare circumstances, a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate without a USCIS international field office may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your LPR status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa. You may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.
Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject and return any unsigned form.
- Only surrender documents issued by USCIS. Do not submit any other documents such as a state-issued driver’s license or a Social Security card.
- If the LPR is 14 years of age or younger, their parent, custodial parent, or duly appointed legal guardian must sign and consent to submitting Form I-407.
- The parent or custodial parent must submit evidence to establish the parental relationship to the minor.
- The duly appointed legal guardian must submit evidence of guardianship for the minor.
- If the LPR is an incapacitated adult, the duly appointed legal guardian must sign and consent to submitting Form I-407.
- A duly appointed legal guardian must submit evidence of guardianship for the incapacitated adult.
- If you file this form with us, we are required to provide your name and the filing date to the Internal Revenue Service. (See Internal Revenue Code section 6039G(d)(3).)
Powered by WPeMatico